7 foods to help moms in their 40s and 50s protect bone health
You are a super mom in your 40s or 50os. You have a lot on your plate.
Helping your child with online school or homework.
Keeping your family safe during this pandemic.
Working inside or outside the home.
Keeping your home running smoothly.
In all this craziness, do not forget to take care of you.. Next time you are grocery shopping online or at the store, try to put some of these bone healthy foods in your cart, all with nutrients and minerals to help you take good care of your bones:
1. Nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt. I like plain Greek yogurt myself because it is high in calcium but low in sugar and I like its creaminess. Plus, it is delicious served with fresh blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
2. Fatty fish such as salmon or sardines. Fatty fish is high in Vitamin D, an essential nutrient for strong bones. I like fresh salmon, but canned salmon and sardines are also good choices to protect bone health.
3. Leafy greens such as kale, turnip greens or mustard greens. All are surprisingly high in calcium.
4. Broccoli. It's a super food that not only helps prevent cancer, it also promotes bone health. Fresh broccoli is the best, but frozen is a close second.
5. Sweet potatoes. They contain magnesium and potassium, two essential nutrients needed for strong, healthy bones
6. Eggs. They are high in vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones. It is important to not just eat egg whites, as egg yolks contain vital nutrients
7. Fortified foods like orange juice or cereals. Life is busy. You do not always have time to get all your calcium from steamed broccoli or mustard greens. Calcium-fortified foods can be a quick and easy way to get more calcium into your diet.
But diet alone is not enough to keep your bones healthy and protect you from osteoporosis. Make sure to make time for strength training a few times each week, such as lifting hand-held weights or exercising with resistance bands.
If you want a quick and easy way to do strength training, without going to the gym, or leaving your home, click here to sign up for a free online fitness program.