7 easy ways for moms in their 40s and 50s to feel and look younger (from celebrity moms who get it)
As an older mom, I may be old enough to be my child's grandma.
But I sure as heck don't want to look or feel that old every day.
I've got a 2-year-old to chase after. And a 16-year-old daughter who doesn't want to stand out by having the oldest looking mom on the block.
That's why, at age 50, I try to eat healthy and exercise regularly. But with young kids, I am often sleep deprived. I can't wake up at 4am to meditate or journal for an hour. I need short, simple things I can fit into my already too busy life.
If your schedule is jam-packed like mine, you'll appreciate these mom-friendly life hacks for looking and feeling more energized and youthful. I went to the experts--famous older moms who look stunningly young and vibrant--to learn their secrets. Here are their top 7 tips for looking younger when you're in your 40s or 50s.
1. Exercise every day. Follow the lead of this Asian mom who looks half her age , yet rarely wears makeup. Add some healthy movement to your day. Liu Yelin looks so youthful she is often mistaken as the girlfriend of her son (in his 20s).
Her secret? Swimming in the lake and doing weight training every day. But you don't have to exercise this much or often. If you're new to exercise, this helpful article from Web M.D. is a good place to start. It recommends just 20 or 30 minutes of walking or low-intensity cardio three days a week.
To exercise for free without leaving your home (without germs or Covid-19 exposure), sign up to exercise online with Energy Up. It's a simple way for moms to fit exercise into their busy lives and drop weight and increase energy. I've been exercising in front of my computer through this convenient program (formerly known as Boot Camp Hub) for the last nine years. There are 30 live-streaming workouts each week and nine fitness coaches. I've gotten fit and strong from these workouts and chose to spend my 50th birthday at a trampoline park.
2. Wear clothes that make you look thinner. Famous Youtube stylist, mom, and broadcast journalist, Dominique Sachse, says you can look 10 pounds thinner (and younger too) simply by wearing shapewear (such as Spanx), or by dressing in a single color from head to toe--like a simple red dress. Uncover her other secrets by watching this simple video for styling tips to instantly look 10 pounds thinner. This is my amazing daughter, Katie, age 16, showing the slimming effect of wearing a single color. Wish I looked as young as her!
3. Wear your smile every day. My 9-year-old is obsessed with the musical Annie. One of my favorite songs from the soundtrack is "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile." A 2016 research study from the University of Missouri-Kansas City proved that smiling can actually make you look younger. College students were asked to identify the ages of older adults. The smilers were perceived as younger than their nonsmiling counterparts, meaning that smiling can take years off your appearance. Click here and read about eight other surprising benefits of wearing a smile daily.
4. Make sunscreen part of your morning routine. Actress Jennifer Garner credits moisturizer with SPF protection with helping her look younger and get rid of age spots. According to Garner, the 48-year-old mom of three, "I feel like it's helping my skin stay as young as, you know, as young as it can. I still go outside. I'm definitely not someone who's scared of the sun, but I'm just responsible about it." Read about other celebrity moms who swear by sunscreen here.
5. Water for younger, more radiant skin. According to Gabielle Union, the 47-year-old actress, activist and mom of two-year-old Kaavia, water consumption is a big part of her strategy for looking so youthful. "I have oily skin, I drink a lot of water, I don't smoke, and I don't have a hard life." To learn how she looks 20 years younger, click here and read more about her skincare regimen.
6. Cut down on sugar. To boost energy and mood, actress and mom Kate Hudson, age 41, says to cut down on sugar. The author of Pretty Happy (published in 2016), Hudson says that cutting down on sugar and eating healthy proteins and vegetables, is one part of her overall approach to lifestyle and wellness. She also stresses that health and wellness must be personalized for each woman, as what works for one person may not fit another's unique circumstances.
7. Meditate every day. Jennifer Lopez, mom of boy and girl twins (age 12), looks decades younger than her age of 51. The world-famous actress, singer, and dancer attributes meditation to helping her fight stress, conquer negativity, and stay healthy and sane despite her insanely busy life. Watch this interview for more of her wisdom on staying younger through meditation. My favorite way to meditate is to envision I'm at my favorite beach relaxing while a gentle breeze caresses my face.
So, which health tip will you incorporate into your daily routine? Which celebrity really spoke to you and your life as a mom in your 40s or 50s?
I don't know about you, but I was genuinely impressed and surprised by how normal and approachable the health tips and advice were. I felt like I could have been getting advice from a neighbor, a clerk at the grocery store, or my own sister.
I shouldn't be surprised. There are universal traits that link older moms together into an unspoken club or tribe. Older moms have confidence, patience, strength, and wisdom. And those are all things I look for in friends. I will write more in a few days. Until then, I am wishing you peace, deep breaths, time to savor the small things, and patience to get through the crazy moments.
If you'd like to stay connected to me and other older and wiser moms, click to subscribe. I'd love for you to join our tribe.